Prosecution’s Timeline of Events in Wayland Murder

The timeline provided below was compiled from the Commonwealth’s Statement of the Case document filed at Middlesex Country Superior Court in Woburn on Aug. 23.

Spring 2008 – Lauren Astley and Nathaniel Fujita, both freshmen at , become girlfriend and boyfriend.

April 2011 – Astley ends her relationship with Fujita after the two had dated – with “ups and downs in their relationship" – through their senior year.

June 4, 2011 – Fujita is kicked out of a graduation party after becoming “belligerent and disruptive.” Astley attends the same party and “openly socialized with her friends and classmates.”

June 2011 – Fujita’s mother becomes worried about her son and visits Astley, unbeknownst to her son, at Astley’s place of employment at the Natick Mall. She asks Astley whether she thinks her son “would be okay at college in the fall.” Astley reassures Fujita’s mom.

June 2011 – Astley discusses the visit from Fujita’s mother with her close girlfriends. They talk about Fujita’s behavior at the graduation party and his seeming withdrawal from his circle of Wayland High School friends. They agree that Astley should “check up on him.”

June 27-28, 2011 – Astley sends numerous text messages to Fujita asking to set up a time to talk. The last four of these texts are unanswered.

July 3, just after midnight and again at 1:25 a.m. – Astley texts Fujita, both times seeking a time to get together and talk.

July 3, 12:36 p.m. – Fujita replies that he will meet her. Astley replies by text, “I’m at work till 7.”

July 3, about 3 p.m. – Astley takes her break and makes plans with her best friend to meet later that night with other close friends.

July 3, from about 3:15-5:15 p.m. – Fujita attends a family barbecue in Framingham.

July 3, 6:13 p.m. – Fujita calls Astley.

July 3, 6:14 p.m. Fujita texts Astley, “call me when you get out.”

July 3, 6:47 p.m. – Astley clocks out of work.

July 3, 6:48 p.m. – Astley texts the friends she’d agreed to meet up with later that night.

July 3, 6:51 p.m. – Astley calls Fujita.

July 3, 7:04 p.m. – Fujita calls his mother to ask when she would be home.

July 3, 7:05 p.m. – Fujita calls Astley asking her to park down the street, so his mother wouldn’t see her car.

July 3, 7:05 p.m. – Astley texts Fujita: “Here.”

July 3, 7:45 p.m. – Fujita is observed by a witness familiar with him and his car driving southbound on Route 27. Fujita is shirtless and driving with the windows down and music playing loudly. The witness said he turned right from Route 27 onto King Street, “consistent with getting back to his house quickly by avoiding the traffic light on West Plain.”

July 3, 8:05 p.m. – Fujita calls his mother at the barbecue, this time from a landline.

July 3, 8:08 p.m. – Fujita’s mother returns his call to the landline. Fujita asks whether the family can watch a movie together when they return from the barbecue. He then asks to speak with his cousin, whom he asks to “hang out” later that night, but she declines due to prior plans.

July 3, 9 p.m. – Astley’s friends and family become concerned they haven't heard from her. Astley’s best friend calls Fujita’s cell phone, but finds it to be turned off. She then calls the Fujitas' landline. Fujita answers and says Astley had not been at his house that evening.

July 3, 11 p.m. ­– Wayland Police are notified and begin searching for Astley. Officers meet up with Astley’s friends and family at the Town Beach where her Jeep has been discovered.

July 4, midnight – Wayland Police go to the Fujita home where they talk with Fujita and his mother. Fujita says Astley stopped by about 7:45 p.m., but he doesn't know where she is.

July 4, after midnight – Wayland Police again visit the Fujita home, and Fujita and his mother offer the same information as during the previous visit. The officer is given permission to look for Astley in and around the outbuildings on the property, which he does, also shining a flashlight in both of the Fujitas' cars and finding nothing.

July 4, 6:30 a.m. – Wayland Police return to Fujita's home. Fujita then says Astley’s visit the night before could have been earlier than he first reported. When the officer wants to check the times on the phone that Astley and Fujita had spoken on the night before, Fujita “became evasive, and claimed he didn’t have it.”

July 4, about 7:30 a.m. ­– A bicyclist traveling on Water Row stopped at a clearing with which she was familiar to look for a Great Blue Heron. She instead saw human knees and a hand sticking out of the water. She immediately calls 911.

July 4, later that morning – Police return to the Fujita home where Fujita’s father says his wife and son left around 8:30 that morning to go shopping. He then goes with officers to the police station.

July 4, throughout the afternoon – Fujita’s father tells police he doesn't know where his wife and son are and could not reach them by phone. All points bulletins are issued for Fujita’s Honda and law enforcement agencies begin making “extensive efforts” to locate Fujita.

July 4, about 6 p.m. – Fujita and his mother arrive at their relative’s home in Framingham.

July 4, that evening – A search warrant is executed at Fujita’s home in Wayland. The search uncovers a trash bag of wet, bloody clothing and sneakers; a second pair of wet sneakers; and numerous blood stains in the garage and on a door handle.

July 5, 1:38 a.m. – District Attorney Gerry Leone authorizes Fujita’s arrest.

July 5, 1:45 a.m. – Fujita is taken into custody.

Carole October 24, 2011 at 11:07 PM
here is a nice girl and clearly a troubled boy, they date, she breaks up with him, he acts out, her friends tell HER to check up on HIM, his mother goes to HER work asking if SHE thinks her son will be ok at college - this poor girl felt RESPONSIBLE and GUILTY - and if her friends and his mother hadn't made her feel responsible for HIM and HIS feelings, nice girl that she was, she would be alive today - it was SHE who contacted HIM because she was thoughtful and cared and felt bad for him and didn't want to hurt him - and now she is dead, murdered - because she was made to feel it was HER business to look after HIM and console him, check on him - it WAS NOTher responsibility to hold his hand through the break up - they dated, she broke it off, and that should have been that. Please to all you girls who break up with your boyfriends - make it a CLEAN BREAK - and NEVER ever be alone with that person if you think for one second that he's handling the break-up negatively. Take ten giant steps away from him - if Lauren Astley had done this, and not felt responsible for how HE was handling the break up - she would be at Elon today. Rest in peace young Lauren and let your tragic, early loss of life be a life lesson for those you leave behind.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »