Sunday, April 29, is all about being green in Wayland. And since green is Wayland Patch's favorite color (for obvious reasons), we've decided to jump into the experience.
Wayland Patch will be one of more than 50 exhibitors taking part in this year's Earth Day fair, which is themed "Earth Day is Our Day."
The fair takes place at the Wayland Town Building on Sunday, April 29 from noon to 3 p.m. in conjunction with the Friends of the Wayland Public Library's Spring Book and Bake Sale. The event will be outdoors, weather permitting. In the case of rain, the fair will move into the Town Building.
In addition to the exhibitors, performances by the Wayland High School Muses, an all-girls a cappella group, and the newly renovated Diamond Jubilee Organ will occur. Many children's activities, mini workouts, art exhibits, lunch, a raffle, and much more are also part of the festivities.
And, of course, there's the Wayland Patch table where your Patch editor, that's me, Brooklyn Lowery, will be hanging out to answer your questions and hand out Patch goodies. Rumor has it that Jersey, the Wayland Patch mascot, will also be on hand to offer a friendly tail wag and accept head pats in return.
The Red Cross Donation Bus will be there from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. accepting blood donations.
For a list of all exhibits, activities and raffle items, visit http://www.waylandgreenteam.org/earth-day. Some information from a press release is provided below:
- Whole Foods Grill: cheeseburger, veggie burger, hot dog, grilled vegetables, chips on the side (Whole Foods is generously donating all the proceeds to the Wayland PTO Green Team)
- Great Harvest Bread: bread, scones, cookies
- Nobscot Artisan Cheese: locally crafted cheese
- Kid's lemonade stands, with brownies (more kids can sign up)
- And to finish up ... brewed coffee from Karma Coffee
Please be advised: We will not be selling bottled water or canned soda. There will be lemonade and free water from the tap (take the water taste test!).
Entertainment (in the tents, for times, check schedule on the website )
- The Muses - A Cappella
- The Diamond Jubilee Organ
- Austin Plays the Bass
- MC: John McGah
Raffle (drawing scheduled for 2:15 pm)
- For a list of all raffle items and the businesses that generously donated: check the website
- Proceeds benefit the Wayland PTO Green Team
Activities for Kids
- Story time (scheduled) and crafts with the Wayland Public Library
- The Lorax
- Ag in the Classroom games
- Sow a seed with the students from the School Gardens
- Build a bird house with the Carpenter's Union Local 275
- Exhibit of the art contest - and we are still accepting submissions at the schools
- Decorate cloth napkins with the Wayland Children and Parents Assocation
Activities for All Ages
- Zumba mini workshop (scheduled)
- Wetland Walk (scheduled)
- Transition Wayland Climate Change Game (scheduled)
- Tap / Bottled Water Tasting Test
- Sow a seed with Russell's
- Home-made dog leashes for sale
- Emily Norton on turtle conservation and vernal pools
- BEElieve Beekeepers and Beefriends group
- Adopt a cat from Guardian Angels
- Raptor Rescue
- Art from Recycling by BASE
- Art by Elementary School students in the Town Building hallway. We are still accepting submissions at the schools.
Community and Resilience
- Wayland 375th Anniversary
- Wayland Public Library
- Learn about Timebanking from TimeTradeCircle
- Freecycle Wayland/Weston
- Habitat for Humanity
- Wayland Historical Society: old tools, old maps
- Transition Framingham
- Transition Wayland
- Pegasus Summer Camp
- Wayland School Garden Clubs (Happy Hollow, Claypit Hill, Middle School)
- Lands Sake Green Power and Farm and Forest Explorers Summer Programs
- Goddard School
- Solarize Massachusetts
- Solar installers
- Transition Wayland Household Greening Program
- Virtual Tour of the "Toaster House"
- "Ask Me about my Prius"
- "Ask me about my solar array!"
- "Ask me about my Chevy Volt!"
- Geothermal installer
- Sign up for free Energy Audits
- The Wayland Green Team
- Transition Wayland
- Everything you always wanted to know about climate change but were afraid to ask
- Wayland Energy Initiatives Advisory Committee
- Big Heart, Little Feet on recycling on our ball fields and in our parks
- Wayland Rail Trail
- Wayland Conservation Commission on water issues and Community Gardens
- Sudbury weed education and eradication team
- Re-foam-It: recycling polystyrene
- Carpool signup
- Church of the Holy Spirit: Outdoor Sanctuary for All Project
- Temple Ma’yan Tikvah and Earth Connecting
Health and Wellness
- Donate blood to the Red Cross!
- Wayland Community Pool
- Scheduled Mini workouts in Zumba and fitness
- Landscape and Garden designers and installers
- Soil remediation
- Green home architects
- Village Bank
- CSA signup
- Local farms
- Vegan Metrowest Network
- Wayland Patch
- Edible Boston: free copies!
- YES! Magazine: free copies!
Skillshare and Carpool
- Bike repair demo
- Knitting demo
- Carpool into Boston signup