1. Boy Scout Christmas Trees. They're back! The Boy Scout Christmas Tree lot at Community United Methodist Church opens today. Pick out your tree from among the Scouts' stock, and, if you come on Saturday, rumor has it a jolly old elf dressed all in red will be on hand from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. to help usher in the holiday season.
2. Weekly Health Clinic. It's Friday, so that means the Parmenter Weekly Health Clinic is happening. Stop by for a free blood glucose and blood pressure reading.
3. Winter 2013 Recreation. The Recreation Department's 2013 brochure is available and registration begins Monday for the winter programs. Check out the info and plan your activities now.
4. Calendar Updates. Did you know that the Wayland Patch calendar is an open forum where you can post events around town or even outside of town? All you need to share your craft fair, school play, fundraiser, organizational meeting or other event is a login name and password (Click "Join" in the upper right-hand corner).
5. Didn't See That Comin'. On this date in 1954, Elizabeth Hodges was asleep on her couch in Sylacauga, Ala., when a 7-inch meteorite came crashing through her roof, bounced off her radio and struck her hip. It was the first modern record of a meteorite striking a person, though ancient Chinese history records instances.