1. Traffic Study Discussion.The Finnerty's redevelopment discussions continue tonight with the Planning Board, Board of Public Works and others sitting down to discuss the findings of a recent traffic study commissioned by the town and related to the West Plain and Main Street intersection.
2. Other Meetings. The Board of Selectmen will continue its discussion tonight of the FY14 budget, the School Committee will hear Superintendent Paul Stein's FY14 budget presentation and a few other groups meet as well. Check out the full meeting calendar on the Town of Wayland website.
3. FY2013 Tax Rate. The Department of Revenue late last week certified Wayland's FY13 tax rate, both residential and commercial, at $17.89. That's down from the FY12 rate of $19.01. Bills will be mailed Dec. 31, with the first deposit due Feb. 1.
4. Ice Rink Update. On Saturday volunteers erected the boards for two ice rinks, one at Cochituate Field and the other at Wayland Town Building. The Department of Public Works will install the tarps and fill them once the ground is frozen and the weather turns cold enough.
5. Taking Flight. Just a week before what is now a major day for airports throughout the U.S., we can celebrate the anniversary of the first ever flight. On Dec. 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright took the first successful flight of "a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft." According to History.com , that first flight lasted for 12 seconds and covered 120 feet. We've come a long way since then ...