Shoppers get your recycled shopping bags ready, Whole Foods is set to open Wednesday, May 16 at 9 a.m.
While weather and construction could change that, the new store is hoping this date will stay firm.
The natural and organic foods supermarket is located at 23932 Aliso Creek Road in the former
and continues daily. Check out for what to expect at the new store along with photos from when Laguna Niguel Patch was invited to the store's sneak peek.
“As a longtime resident of the Laguna Niguel community, I’m pleased to be able to bring the unique Whole Foods Market shopping experience to my friends and neighbors,” said Patrick Bradley, regional president for Whole Foods Market Southern Pacific Region. “In addition to providing the wide selection of delicious, natural and organic foods that are the hallmark of Whole Foods Market, we’d like this store to become a dining destination for the community where they can come to relax, enjoy a drink, listen to music and grab a bite to eat.”
When the store opens guests will be greeted by a store full of favorite features like prepared salads and hot food bars brimming with options. They will also be able to take advantage of new features like an outdoor fire pit and in-store wine and beer bar that will offer 12 local beers on tap and an assortment of wines available by the glass. The Laguna Niguel location is also the first Whole Foods Market in Southern California to offer visitors the ability to sample a unique selection of artisan alcohol and spirits sold in the store.
Guests can enjoy dining on prepared foods and/or beverages in the 150-seat indoor-outdoor café.
“We’re proud to introduce our new store to the Laguna Niguel community and we’ve worked hard to bring interesting features and products tailored especially for them,” said “We look forward to becoming a trusted community resource where residents can learn about the benefits of organic products, healthy eating, feeding their families economically and find products to suit special dietary needs,” added Shaughnessy.
The much-anticipated store is the fourth Whole Foods Market located in Orange County. The nearly 36,000 square-foot store will showcase a variety of venues and natural and organic products.
The store will offer items from more than 100 local vendors and farmers from nearby San Diego, Orange and Los Angeles counties including: Homegrown Meats, Backyard Bees (with products in both grocery and whole body), Archi's Acres, Stehly, Suzies, Go Green, Carlsbad Aquafarm and Golden Road Brewing.
Among the many departments throughout the store, the new space will feature an extensive produce section with seasonal varieties, including locally grown fruits and vegetables. The meat department will provide shoppers quality meat free of antibiotics and added hormones. The 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating program also tells shoppers just how the animals were raised for the meat they’re buying.
The seafood department will offer fresh wild-caught seafood that is certified by Marine Stewardship Council or green or yellow rated by Blue Ocean Institute. Responsibly farmed seafood rounds out the fresh case – farmed seafood is not raised with animal byproducts or antibiotics. There will be an extensive selection of prepared foods created by Whole Foods Market’s Executive Chef that can be enjoyed in the indoor/outdoor dining area or at home.
Designed and built with the environment in mind, the brightly colored store will feature everything from decorative displays made with reclaimed carpet fibers and check stand lights that are made of corrugated cardboard to wall decór made with salvaged hard wood from a mill in Northern California.
Highlights that Whole Foods Market Laguna Niguel shoppers can look forward to enjoying include:
- In-store demo kitchen will offer a series of different cooking classes taught by our executive chef and well-known local chefs. There will also be regular wine and beer tasting events held to highlight different selections that can be found in the store.
- Seasonal and locally sourced conventional and organic produce, Whole Trade Guarantee Bananas and Pineapple, and organic fruits and veggies cut fresh daily in store.
- Meat department with a full line of locally sourced beef and chicken, a variety of selections ready to take home and cook, and in-house smoked meats.
- Seafood department featuring sustainably sourced fresh salmon, filets, steaks, local and seasonal seafood, whole fish and oven-ready selections. Fresh seafood is delivered up to six days a week.
- Full in-store bakery with a team of dedicated bakers creating freshly made breads from scratch, muffins, scones, cakes, pies, tarts, cookies, and special diet selections like vegan and gluten-free treats.
- A large bulk and raw foods section featuring heirloom beans, sprouted nuts/grains/flours with a focus on unique ingredients for cooking nutritious meals from scratch.
- In-store kitchen that features handcrafted pizza, in-house chips and dips, custom-made sandwiches, rolled-to-order sushi, organic salad bar, hot soups, meals-on-the-go and Weekday Deals.
- Whole Body section with a focus on sports nutrition as well as personal-care items to care for the whole body along with nutritional supplements and vitamins. There will also be six local vendors with baby related products featured in the department.
- Café seating for 150 with free Wi-Fi, 12 checkouts and plenty of parking.
For additional information on Whole Foods Market’s Laguna Niguel store, please visit wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lagunaniguel or to stay updated on grand opening events and activities on Laguna Niguel Patch.
To ring in the day, a "Bread Breaking Ceremony" to celebrate the grand opening of will take place. The new neighborhood culinary destination and hang out will host a variety of events following the grand opening to allow the community to sample the store's offerings and take some goodies home.
The first 300 customers in line for the 9:00 a.m. "bread breaking ceremony" will receive a complimentary demi-baguette. There will also be delicious foods to taste and the Seafood Team will be outside grilling in the afternoon.